This was our 'trial' set and completed it with Hubby's assistance in 2 days flat.
I'm not going into details on how to make this stuff, but to just show the key points of each design.
Since it is a bedroom design, the key feature would of course be a bed. Hubby helped a lot with this design, making most of the furniture. Well, what did I do? The wallpaper, cornice and the lace on the walls as well as those that had to do with cloth.
For the bed, the pillows and quilt were a bit tricky, as the satin cloth are very slippery and I had to hand sew it inside out. As I do not sew on a regular basis, my stitches were not very even and upon turning it inside-out, noticed the visible stitches and had to do corrections. (Note: Some parts of the design, including those yet to be posted, I didn't really follow exactly as shown on the box. So, can you spot the differences?)
The satin cloth is surprisingly stiff, so I actually used quite a bit of UHU glue on the quilt as it wouldn't follow the contour of the bed.

There is a chest of drawers next to the bed, which again was mostly done by hubby with Rachel helping to stick on the printed papers. I like the way the manufacturer put in effort into the details like pearls for knobs and the knick knacks. Lamp is also done by hubby, but all others by moi!

I really have to give credit to hubby for making these cute bedroom slippers from 4 rectangular pieces. Of course, Rachel was giving lots of 'advise' on how to shape them! On the other hand, after completing this, Hubby developed 'fatigue syndrome' and was not so 'active' for the other designs. Well, any help is better than none, I'd say.

In the other corner of the bedroom is the vanity table. The mirror is surprisingly reflective as I found my image in one of the other pictures (not shown, hehehe, so don't go looking for it)

Here's a close-up of the vanity table. I really like how different types of beads are used to look like perfume bottles and jewellery box. Yes, that 'box' is actually made out of 4 separate beads. Pretty, isn't it?

If we have a vanity, we can't do without the stool, right?
Honestly, I had a hard time with this little stool. Well, I was being greedy and wanted the cushion to be puffier, so I used quite a bit of stuffing. Unfortunately, the satin didn't agree with me and was being quite stubborn about it. I had to wrestle it down with my best friend, the UHU glue. It's only after I won the battle that I realised that I didn't cut the cloth into a circular shape, so now the underneath is a bit untidy and uneven. The manufacturer realised this would happen, so provided a piece of lace to wrap around it, hiding the mess.
The uneven surface under the seat caused the 3 little legs to be crooked. This is the best angle that I can use to make it look more presentable, even though the ends of the wrap-around lace is visible.

Finally, we come to the window. I feel that this is one of my best effort to date. This says a lot as I've done 3 other designs.
I really liked the different layers of this window. Firstly there is the frame, made from 7 pieces of wood, then comes the gauze, the curtains and last, the lace. As I mentioned earlier, the satin is quite slippery and stiff. I couldn't form the pleats properly. I had to sew a thread through the top and pulled it tighter to make pleats. I then glued both ends down and slowly tackle the rest. Once again, my best friend, UHU glue came to my rescue, but it got a bit messy. Thank goodness for the piece of lace to camouflage the undesirable bits. Oh yeah, the curtain ties are very tedious, as initially, I only managed to make a bow on one of the curtains. It took many tries, using the tweezers to finally make both to look presentable. Enjoy it while it last as I gave up doing it for the other curtains in the other designs.

Lastly, a note to keep any unused odds and ends as it may come in handy, which I found out in the bathroom design.
Ok, this is reaaaallly the last comment!!! Do not allow kids to play with it. It is not robust (haiya, what do you expect? It's low cost and UHU glued). So, unless you relish to see all the effort goes down the drain, wrap it up and put it somewhere safe, where no football can reach.
No comments:
Post a Comment