A couple of months back, when we were at Dataran, we came across a small shop near the flat escalator (dunno what is the correct name) near the Carrefour side. It sells DIY handicrafts, mainly paint-by-number set, DIY minature show rooms etc.
I bought one smallish paint-by-number set and one DIY mini show rooms that Rachel chose. This particular set comes in a total of 6 designs. Each design is basically a 'room' with 3 walls and a floor. There are items that you need to make to fill it up. Rachel chose the bedroom design. The final product is quite small, approx 15cm x 15cm x 17cm. This is an approximate as I'm too lazy to measure it right now. May come back to edit.



Each box contains an instruction manual. Unfortunately, it is all in Chinese!!! which I don't understand, but no fear, as long as you recognise some rudimentary characters for colour, paper, cloth, wood etc, it is still manageable. If you don't, you can easily refer to any online Chinese-English dictionary, and work things out. At least, the dimensions are in Roman numerals. If all fails, refer to the picture on the box to figure out where it all fits. And trust me, the pictures help a lot.
The things in the boxes are separated into different bags and labelled accordingly as per the instruction manual. If you enjoy fixing up IKEA furniture, you'll like this too.

Most of the things that is provided are simple items, falling into these categories
* wood parts (match-stick sized sticks and flat pieces)
* cloth (can be of any material i.e. gauze, cotton, felt, and strips of lace, ribbons)
* paper (cardboard, printed paper)
* accessories (beads of many shapes and sizes, metal wires, strings, stuffing, pins, fake plants etc)
Then it is basic glueing and fixing things up. It is a wonder how they designed the layout, paying attention to details. It is also surprising how ordinary things like pins, beads can be turned into perfume bottles, toiletries, cans, pots etc.
However, I need to point out that the work can be quite tedious. I'll expand on it further when we get to the Piano Room. The quality only so-so, but the outcome can be surprisingly beautiful, especially when viewed from a distance.
As all the items are only fixed using UHU glue, it is not meant to be play-able, only for display only... Strictly See, No Touch !
This post is just an introduction to the latest hobby that I picked up. To date, I've completed 4 sets, and will post them up...... when I post them up. How did I ended up with so many sets? That will be explained later.... chiao
No comments:
Post a Comment